Friday, March 29, 2013

Naturally Dyed Easter Eggs

Dying eggs naturally has been a family tradition ever since I could remember.  We would all go to Nana's house and dye eggs with onion skins.  For the past three years, I've shared and created this tradition with my good friend Natalie.  This years were probably not as good as last year.  Partly because I don't have as many plants in my back yard as she did at her house last year.  I'd love to hear if anyone else is dyeing eggs naturally and what you've used.  I hope you enjoy!  Happy Easter!

This was from last year (2012)

And this was 2011

So this year we continued the tradition of onion skins.  Which are always a fun experience to buy at the grocery store; Hopefully they won't charge you at the grocery store.  Usually they're just confused.  And we added chopped beets, red cabbage, and coffee.  We also did a cold method for each dye.  It was interesting to see the difference in color between the boiling and overnight dye.

 Pink: chopped beets
Pale blue: cabbage
Brown: coffee
Red: onion skins


Soaking overnight in the dye.  Look at the colors!
Blue: cabbage
Pale pink: beets
Red/orange: onion skins
Brown: coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment