- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temperature
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup poppy seed
- 2 tsps vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
- lemon juice
- Bring butter, cream cheese, and eggs to room temperature.
- Grease and lightly flour a bundt pan or 10-inch tube pan; set aside. Preheat oven to 325.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds or until softened.
- Gradually add granulated sugar, about 2 tbsps at a time, beating on medium speed about 5 minutes until very light and fluffy.
- Add poppy seed and vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating on low to medium speed for 1 minute after each addition and scraping bowl frequently.
- Gradually add flour mixture, beating on low speed just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 325 for 1 1/4 hours, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- Drizzle with lemon icing.
Makes 16-20 servings.Lemon Icing,
- Combine 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp finely shredded lemon peel.
- Stir in enough lemon juice (1-2 tbsps) to make an icing of drizzling consistency.
You really don't want to know the nutrition info...but you might as well know so you don't overdo it; Nutrition info (per serving): 415 calories, 6 g protein, 55 g carbohydrates, 19 g fat (11 g saturated), 126 mg cholesterol, 239 mg sodium.
- Butter= $0.99
- Cream cheese = $2.00
- Eggs = $0.33
- Flour = $1.00 (approx.)
- Sugar = $1.00 (approx.)
- Poppy seed = $3.32
- Lemon = $0.33
Approximate total = $8.97 or $0.56 per serving!From Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.