Saturday, April 23, 2011

Naturally Dyed Easter Eggs


Happy Easter! In honor of Easter, my friend Natalie and I dyed eggs the way my sister, mom, and I would always do at my Nana's house each Easter. We originally got the idea from a Martha Stewart news clipping (click here for article). It is so fun and creates a brilliant sienna colored egg. I'll be anxious next year to try other natural ingredients to make other colors. I hope you enjoy!

What you'll need:
  • 1 quart water + 2 tbsp white vinegar (use this proportion)
  • dozen raw eggs, brought to room temperature
  • sheer panty hose
  • twisty ties
  • greenery from your garden
  • about 4 cups of onion skins (not the purple onions)
Fill large pot with onion skins and add water and vinegar until covered. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Place desired leaves or flowers onto egg. Cover carefully with a piece of panty hose, as to not mess-up the position of the greenery, and tie tightly with twisty tie. Bring water back to boil and place eggs into large pot. Boil for 25-30 minutes. Remove eggs carefully, as they will be hot, and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Remove panty hose. Beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment