Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Weekend Biscuits

They say to never start something with your husband that you're not willing to do for the rest of your life.  Well, unfortunately I haven't followed that advice.  I made these biscuits once, and then my husband later asked "Can you make those Pilsbury biscuits for breakfast?"  Little did he know that they weren't Pilsbury, but little did I know that I'd be making homemade biscuits every weekend.  (I know.. wife of the year award?!)  But now that I have made them a couple times, I've cut down the prep time to the oven preheating time, so I guess it's worth it.  They are delicious- and new household tradition!  I hope you enjoy.  PS.. I enjoy them with butter and syrup, like a pancake.  Delish!

  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp white sugar
  • 1/3 cup shortening (Crisco)
  • 1 cup milk
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.  Cut in shortening until mixture looks like coarse crumbs.  Gradually pour in milk until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.  Turned onto floured surface and knead 15 times.  Pat or roll dough until 1" thick.  Cut biscuits out using large cutter or juice glass.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet or baking stone.  Bake for 13-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown and biscuits are no longer doughy.


1 comment: