I thought this recipe looked great- unfortunately I did not get to eat it because it is still Lent season! My friends, however, said it was fantastic and extra moist. I hope you enjoy!Cake:
- 1 1/4 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsps baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk (or 1 cup milk + 1 tsp lemon juice)
- 1/4 tsp red food coloring
- 1/3 cup (3 ounces) 1/3-less fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup butter (5 1/3 tbsps) softened
- 2 tbsp Grand Marnier (orange-flavored liqueur) OR orange juice
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- sliced strawberries for decoration (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- To prepare cake, place sliced strawberries in a food processor; process until smooth.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Stirring with a whisk.
- Place granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter in a separate, large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; beat in egg whites.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternatively to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Add pureed strawberries and food coloring; beat until just blended.
- Divide batter between 2 (8-inch) round cake pans coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes; Remove from pans and allow to completely cool.
- To prepare frosting, place cream cheese, 1/3 cup butter, and liqueur (or orange juice) in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until blended. Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until blended.
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides. Slice strawberries and decorate (optional).
Recipe from Cooking Light
Calories (per slice, 16 slices per cake): 348, Fat 11.3g (sat 6.9g, mono 2.8g, poly 0.6g), Protein 4.3g, Carb 57.7g, Fiber 0.7g, Cholesterol 55mg, Iron 1.1mg, Sodium 212mg, Calcium 74mg.