Monday, March 26, 2012

Lemon Orzo with Sauteed Zucchini and Tomatoes

I'm not often too creative with side dishes, but when I saw this recipe on food gawker, I knew I had to try it.  I usually focus so much on the main course that I forget to have fun with the sides.  I love the fresh citrus taste of the orzo combined with the zucchini and tomatoes.  I served this with crusted tilapia for a healthy, and delicious meal.  I hope you enjoy!

  • 1 cup tri-color orzo 
  • 8 cups water 
  • 1 Tbsp. chicken bouillon granules
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 large zucchini, chopped 
  • 12-15 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half 
  • 1 large shallot, sliced 
  • 1 clove garlic, minced 
  • 1 tsp. fresh thyme, minced
  • 1 tbsp. lemon zest  
  • salt and pepper

Directions
Bring water and bouillon to a boil in a pot over high heat. Add orzo and cook according to package, about 9 minutes, or until al dente. Drain, set aside. 

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Wait for the skillet to heat up a bit. Add zucchini, cherry tomatoes, shallot and garlic. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender. 

Remove from heat and add thyme, lemon zest, salt and pepper, stirring well. Then toss with orzo until well combined. Serve immediately.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment