Thursday, February 23, 2012

Salsa Chicken

I intended to make my slow cooker Tex-Mex chicken (recipe here) this week but soon realized that I forgot to pick up salsa from the store.  Instead of the slow cooker cooking all day, I had to go to the store on my way home and bake it in the oven.  It came out great!  This is any easy alternative for when you don't plan ahead (or forget the main ingredient, like me!)  I hope you enjoy!

  • 1 lb chicken breast halves
  • 1 jar salsa (approx. 2 cups)
  • 1 4 oz. can chopped green chiles
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • Monterrey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
Preheat oven to 400.  Spray a rectangular casserole dish with cooking spray.  Place chicken in dish and season with salt & pepper to taste.  Cover with salsa, green chiles, and cumin; stirring to mix.  Cover with cheese as desired.  Cover and bake for 20-25 minutes or until done, removing cover for the last 5 minutes.

Serve with Spanish rice:
Add rice, chopped peppers, frozen corn, and 1tsp cumin to boiling water (amount based on desired servings).  Follow boxed directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment