Monday, February 27, 2012

Vegetable Lasagna


I've always been secretly afraid of vegetable lasagna because I have texture issues with certain foods. (I know, me issues? what?) But, as my New Year's resolution was to eat more vegetables I thought I would test out this new recipe I found on foodgawker.com.  If you haven't heard of foodgawker, listen up!  It's the Pinterest of the recipe world and a great way to browse, search, and organize recipes from all over the internet.  I highly recommend it!  I have to apologize that this recipe was from someone who uses the metric system, so I just kind of estimated on the weight of most of my ingredients.  I hope you enjoy!


  • 15 lasagna no boil noodles
  • 200 grams cottage cheese
  • 1 1/2 cup Gouda cheese, grated
  • 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
  • 100 g fresh spinach, chopped (about 2 cups?)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 small white onion, chopped
  • 7 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 340 g mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup raw broccoli, chopped
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1-15 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1/3 cup ketchup
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • salt & pepper
  • 1 tbsp dried basil
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 to 1 cup water
  1. In a bowl, mix together cottage cheese, 1 cup mozzarella and 1 cup Gouda (I just used all mozzarella).  Add chopped spinach, lightly beaten eggs and set mixture aside.
  2. Chop the onion, garlic, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, and red pepper.
  3. Heat the oil in a heavy bottom saucepan and saute onions until fragrant, about 2 minutes.  Add garlic, carrots and saute for 5 minutes, adding a little bit of water.  Add broccoli, red pepper, seasonings, mustard and water (as much as needed).  Cover and stew until carrots become softer but not too soft.  The mixture shouldn't be dry or too moist.  Add ketchup, diced tomatoes, and mushrooms.  Mix well.
  4. In your baking dish, add a little of the vegetable mixture and place lasagna noodles evenly on top.  Cover with a layer of vegetables then a layer of the cheese mixture.  Repeat layers depending on dish size.  Sprinkle the top with cheese.
  5. Bake in a 375 degree preheated oven for about an hour or until noodles are tender.  Cover with foil for the first 30 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment