Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Beef Enchiladas with Homemade Sauce


HAPPY NEW YEARS! Can you believe it's already 2014?  With the new year comes, of course, new year's resolutions.  What are your new year's resolutions?  I typically don't make any, but this year after doing a lot of research I've decided to change the way I shop for, prepare, and cook food at home.  I've decided to start being more conscious of buying only foods that are non-processed (NP) or minimally processed (MP), including fruits and vegetables that are organic, or pesticide free.  Of course this is not going to be an overnight switch as I still have quite a bit of processed foods in my pantry and freezer.  As I shop for my groceries I am going slowly switch us over to fresher and better food.  Also, organic fruits and vegetables can be very expensive, especially at a regular supermarket.  Thus, I will be sticking to the Dirty Dozen  and buying more if I can afford to.

What does that mean for my blog?  When looking back, most of my recipes are already minimally processed or can be non-processed with a few simple substitutions.  From now on, you will see NP or MP labels for recipes as well as substitution lists to help you make choices about what to buy.  Also, you'll see recipes that contain more seasonal fruits and vegetables since I'll be shopping at more farmers markets and local places.  It may not be a perfect journey, but I hope you will join me in 2014!

My first recipe to blog in the New Year (I actually made it in 2013) is a transition to NP recipes as I am yet to make my own corn tortillas. (Soon!).  Also, I used organic, but not grass-fed beef as I couldn't find any grass-fed beef at my local store.  This was my first try at making my own enchilada sauce, and I am pretty proud of how it turned out.  I always love comfort Mexican food!  I hope you enjoy!

Ingredients
For the Enchilada Sauce
1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 jalapenos, deveined, seeded, and diced
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce (+ more, if desired)
For the Meat
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
For the Enchilada Assembly
3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
10 corn tortillas
1 (8-ounce) package sour cream
2 cups shredded lettuce
cilantro (optional)
2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack or Cheddar cheese

Instructions
1. For the Enchilada Sauce
2. Puree all enchilada sauce ingredients (tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapenos, oil, Sriracha sauce)
in a blender. Set aside.
3. For the Meat
4. Brown ground beef over medium-low heat. Drain meat to remove any excess drippings.
Add 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce into brown meat and stir until well-combined.
5. For the Enchilada Assembly
6. Preheat oven to 350º F.
7. Pour 1/2 cup enchilada sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 oven-safe, casserole dish.
8. Drizzle oil into the bottom of a skillet over a medium-low heat. Add corn tortillas, one at a
time, and cook for about 1 minute each. Do not allow to become crispy.
9. Drain tortilla and then layer on beef, lettuce, sour cream, cheese and cilantro. Roll tortilla to
keep all ingredients inside. Then place seam side down in the casserole dish. Once all
enchiladas have been assembled and placed into casserole dish, pour remaining enchilada
sauce over to make sure well covered. Top with remaining cheese.
10. Place in oven and bake 15 minutes, or until cheese has fully melted.
11. Remove from oven and top with additional cilantro, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment