Wednesday, January 1, 2014

NP Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes

This is the perfect recipe to start off your New Year!  In researching NP foods I've really enjoyed reading 100 Days of Real Food.  She has tons of great ideas and recipes to begin your NP adventure.  This breakfast recipe was one of the breakfasts she put together on a weekly meal plan.  I was a little hesitant about the whole wheat flour because in the past it's always tasted somewhat gritty.  Not for this recipe!  I can honestly say this may be my best breakfast I've ever cooked.  My husband even said, "I expect this every Saturday."  I hope he's just joking! If you even remotely love banana bread, you will love this!  I hope you enjoy!

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 cups whole-wheat flour 
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 ¾ cups milk, organic
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted + butter for frying
  • 2 ripe (organic if possible) bananas, mashed
  • 100% pure maple syrup for serving
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  2. Make a well (hole) in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the honey, eggs, milk, and 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Whisk together thoroughly, but do not overmix.
  3. Gently fold the mashed bananas into the batter with a spatula.
  4. Heat a griddle or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Swirl enough butter around the pan until it is well coated. Add pancake batter using a soup ladle.
  5. When the pancakes have begun brown on the bottom, flip them over to cook the other side.
  6. Serve with warm maple syrup and a side of fruit. And don’t forget to freeze the leftovers for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment