Saturday, August 10, 2013

Halibut Steamed in Parchment


I am loving having fresh halibut in my freezer!  Who knew there were so many different ways to cook fish?  Last night I followed the advice of one of my coworkers who said this was this best way to cook halibut: steamed in parchment paper.  They actually sell parchment paper bags ready to stuff with fish and veggies.  This was quite possibly the best meal I've ever made- and I feel like I didn't really do any work.  The fish was so delicious and fresh and the veggies steamed perfectly.  I highly recommend using parchment bags to steam fish!  You can use any type of fish you have. The following recipe is for 2, so I doubled it for 4.  I hope you enjoy!

  • 1 large russet potato, scrubbed and sliced 1/8" thick
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 oz baby spinach, well washed
  • 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
  • 1 lemon, thinly sliced
  • 2 6-oz halibut fillets, about 1 1/2" thick
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Using two 12" x 17" sheets of parchment paper, fold each sheet in half crosswise.  Place 1 sheet of parchment paper flat on a work surface.  Place half the potatoes, garlic, spinach, shallots, and 2 lemon slices on one side of the crease; season with salt and pepper.  Place halibut on top of lemon slices, and season with salt and pepper.  Fold parchment paper over ingredients.  Make small overlapping folds along the edge to seal.
Place packets on baking sheet.  Bake until packets have puffed, and fish is cooked through, about 18 minutes.  Transfer packets to individual plates.  Serve immediately, opening packets at table.  Garnish with any remaining lemon slices.

Original recipe from Martha Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment