Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Seared Halibut with Fresh Tomato Basil Sauce

 

Me and my fish
My husband and I had such a great time on our first trip to Alaska!  One of the things we didn't expect going into it, was the opportunity to send some of the delicious halibut that we caught home to Texas.  With 20 lbs. of fresh halibut in the freezer, it's time for me to get cooking and do some research on how to prepare this amazing fish.  I had actually never had halibut until my journey to Homer, Alaska, the "halibut capitol of the world."  I came across this recipe on Food Gawker and thought it'd be the perfect start to my halibut cooking journey.  It was fantastic, but that's probably because it's the fish that I caught.  Just joking- but maybe it was?  I hope you enjoy!

  • 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 3 large roma tomatoes or 4 medium sized, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
  • 4 (6 oz) pieces halibut
  • Hot, cooked noodles

Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add garlic, saute for 1 minute.  Add tomatoes, saute for about 3-5 minutes, until tomatoes start to breakdown.  Stir in wine.  Add salt and pepper and increase heat.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, until tomoatoes have broken down enough to form a sauce.  Stir occasionally.  Stir in basil.

Once sauce is ready, heat remaining olive oil in a separate large, non-stick skillet over medium high heat.  You want the pan very hot.  Season both sides of the fish with a little salt and pepper.  Add fish to hot oil.  Sear on both sides for about 2 minutes.  Reduce heat to medium, add sauce to fish.  Simmer in the sauce for about 5 minutes or until fish is cooked through.  Serve over hot cooked noodles if desired.


Original recipe here






No comments:

Post a Comment