Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Simple Sausage and Okra Gumbo

My husband really enjoys gumbo, which I have to admit, I have never made from scratch.  When I saw this recipe on food gawker, I knew I needed to try it.  The vegetable to meat ratio was a little too high for my husband's taste, but I really enjoyed a "greener" gumbo.  It's a winner in my book.  But, I may add a little more meat and rice next time.  I hope you enjoy!

  • 3-4 strips bacon
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 3 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1-15 oz. can chopped tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 bag frozen okra, thawed
  • 1 package fully cooked turkey sausage (14 oz) cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 cup rice
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning (I just used a seafood seasoning I had in my pantry)
  • 1 tsp Tony Chachere's seasoning (I used Cajun spice I had in my pantry)
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • salt & pepper to taste
Cook rice according to package directions.  In a large dutch oven, heat the bacon over medium heat and render fat.  Remove the bacon and set aside.  Add onion, pepper, and celery and cook 7-10 minutes or until onions are slightly translucent.  Add tomatoes, okra, seasonings and chicken broth.  Add the bacon back to the pot (whole slices).  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.  Add sausage and rice.  Simmer 10-15 minutes.  Remove the bacon and bay leaves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment