Saturday, April 7, 2012

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Waffles

This recipe looked particularly delicious, when I spotted it on Food Gawker, so I thought I'd give it a try for breakfast this morning.  I added fresh blueberries to mine for some added flavor.  Apparently it's from a weight watchers magazine, so it has to be good for you, right?  Maybe not after adding real maple syrup.  Anyhow, this is another tasty waffle recipe to add to my collection.  I hope you enjoy!

  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup fat-free egg substitute (I just used 2 eggs)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Preheat waffle iron.  Mix whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg substitute, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla until smooth.  Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until combined.  Mixture will be slightly lumpy.  Spray hot waffle iron with cooking spray.  Ladle about 1/2 cup batter onto waffle iron (depending on the size of your waffle iron) and cook until golden brown about 4 1/2 minutes.  Place leftover waffles in a zip-lock freezer bag, squeeze out the air, and freeze up to one month.

No comments:

Post a Comment