Saturday, April 7, 2012

Spinach, Mushroom, and Cheese Stuffed Shells

I had some leftover jumbo shells from my shrimp-stuffed shell recipe a few weeks ago, so I came up with this recipe with things I had in the fridge.  It was delicious, although I have to admit that Tim asked me where the meat was.  I think it's a man thing to always eat meat at dinner.  I used the fresh oregano, basil, and parsley from my garden, which made a huge difference in taste.  I hope you enjoy!


  • About 12 jumbo pasta shells
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 container (15 oz) ricotta cheese
  • 1 box (10 oz) frozen spinach, thawed, drained and excess water squeezed out
  • 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
  • Fresh herbs (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 1 jar pasta sauce
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a small skillet, heat about 1 tbsp olive oil.  Add garlic and saute about 1 minute.  Add mushrooms and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat.
  2. Meanwhile, cook jumbo pasta shells according to package directions, cooking until al dente.  Drain and rinse with cold water until cool enough to work with.
  3. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, spinach, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, herbs, egg, and salt and pepper to taste.  Stir in mushroom and garlic mixture.  
  4. Lightly oil a 9x9 casserole dish and spoon pasta sauce on the bottom.  Spoon-fill cheese mixture into jumbo shells and place in the casserole dish.  Top shells with pasta sauce and any remaining cheeses.  
  5. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes until bubbly and cooked through.  You may need to cover with foil if edges of jumbo shells begin to get crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment