Thursday, November 22, 2012

Chocolate Bourbon Walnut Pie (Derby Pie)

Happy Thanksgiving!  I can't believe how fast this year has gone already.  As my husband and I are packing up our apartment to move into our first home, I decided to make some desserts as my last hoo-rah in tmy small kitchen.  This was my first attempt at a pie that I have been craving for quite some time.  I honestly had it about 4 years ago when a friend of a friend brought it to dinner.  Since I've never made it before, I'm not sure the texture of mine was right; It just looked different than the original recipe's picture.  But, who cares as long as it tastes good, right?  I used a pre-made crust just to save time, but you could always make your own crust if you'd like.  Will definitely be making this again.  I hope you enjoy!


9-inch pie crust (pre-made or homemade)
½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
¾ cup light brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup light corn syrup
4 eggs
¼ cup bourbon
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1¼ cups walnuts, given a very coarse chop
¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS:

1. Prepare the pie crust as directed in your recipe; blind bake according to the recipe's instructions; set aside.
2. Adjust the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer on medium-high speed with a whisk attachment (or in a large bowl with a whisk and a lot of elbow grease), whip together the butter, sugars, corn syrup, eggs, bourbon and vanilla extract until frothy. Fold in the walnuts and chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.
4. Pour into the prepared pie crust (you may have more filling than will fit into your pie pan - just fill it up as far as you can). Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until set. Cool completely at room temperature (at least 4 hours) before slicing into the pie. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.

Found on Food Gawker, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment