Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Banana Cake


Instead of the traditional banana bread, I opted to use my leftover bananas for this delicious cake.  This recipe is from my sister's college roommate, and ever since I first had it, I've been craving that buttery, brown sugar crust.  (I'm a sucker for butter and brown sugar!).  I think I over baked mine by a minute or two, so make sure you're checking it with a toothpick.  But, my co-workers loved it!  I hope you enjoy.

Banana Cake
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cups Crisco (shortening)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 4 Tbsp. buttermilk or 4 Tbsp. milk and 1 tsp. lemon juice
  • 3 very ripe bananas
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup brown sugar packed
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine (melted)
Mix sugar, shortening, egg, flour, vanilla, baking soda, buttermilk, smashed bananas, and salt in a large bowl until smooth. Spray a 9"x13" baking dish and pour in mixture.
Mix brown sugar and melted butter. Pour this on top of cake mixture. Don't worry if it is really thick and you have to spread it on top.
Bake at 325 for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and the cake is still moist but not liquid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment