Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Airplane Baby Shower

So, for my sister's baby shower, I went with an airplane theme since my sister is an aerospace engineer and flies airplanes, it was an obvious choice.  However, creating a baby girl themed baby shower was a little challenging.  All-in-all it turned out great with a little help from Pinterest and my favorite fabric store.  


I really loved how the airplane onesie craft turned out!  I traced the airplane design onto one side of Heat Bond n' Lite iron-on permanent bond paper.  I then cut out the airplanes (roughly) and ironed that onto the wrong side of the fabric.  I then trimmed out the airplane shape.  At the shower, the guests would peel off the paper backing, stick their design where they desired, and iron on the design for a permanent hold.  I also used printable onesie lablels (Free printable here) for the guests to iron on.



                                               
The mom-to-be and our goddaughter


I made my first diaper wreath using a wooden wreath frame found at Hobby Lobby.  I wrapped newborn baby diapers all the way around, tying them with alternating pink and baby pink ribbon.  I added the "Mommy's co-pilot" and "Future Pilot" tee and bib to continue with the theme.


We served spinach and artichoke dip (recipe on my blog), fruit salad, veggies and dip, chicken salad and ham salad sandwiches, Chex mix, airplane-shaped sugar cookies, and of course, cake!

It was a wonderful afternoon- now if only my niece would get here soon!


6 comments:

  1. Do you have something I can use to trace the airplane to make the iron ons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just printed out an airplane from a google image search. I scaled it down to the desired size before I printed it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this baby shower idea! Where did you find the airplace pieces for the bassinet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please do tell us where we can find the airplane pieces for the bassinet. I am giving a baby shower for a Navy pilot's wife in 2 weeks. I have the bassinet. I would buy those pieces from you if they are available. Sheila.bosworth63@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bassinet is a family piece that each future grandma has sewn together a new cover and pillows etc. to prepare for her new grandchild. I am a prosthetic and orthotic practitioner, so with some of my coworkers (and the tools at work) we created the airplane parts out of a Styrofoam cooler. We then painted them pink to match. We used Velcro and hooks to attach it to the bassinet. Unfortunately we are not wanting to sell the pieces, especially if my sister has another baby. Thanks for reading my blog! Good luck with planning your baby shower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Abbey, for the inspiration! I was able to talk my husband, who worked his way through college as a draftsman, into carving airplane pieces out of Styrofoam that was used to deliver a child's wooden vintage kitchen. He did a great job! Again, thanks for such a great conversation piece. We even had a little teddy bear pilot. (Lambs & Ivy)
    Sheila B.

    ReplyDelete