Sunday, October 24, 2010

Stuffed French Toast

Who doesn't like French toast? I'm glad I tried this recipe because it's definitely something I'm not familiar with baking, and now that I've done it I know what to do better. I would reduce the milk to two cups and increase the baking time a little bit to make it a little less moist. Also, the loaf of bread I used didn't have 24 slices, so I should've added some more bread which would've also made it less moist. Have fun with it; I hope you enjoy!

Makes: 12 servings.
Kitchen tools needed: 13x9 baking dish, food processor, blender, or mixer
  • 24 (1-ounce) slices cinnamon-raisin bread
  • 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
  • 2 cups egg substitute, divided
  • 1 cup half-and-half
  • 1 cup sugar, divided
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 2 8-oz packages 1/2-less-fat cream cheese, softened
  • cinnamon-sugar (optional)

Trim crusts from bread. Arrange half of the bread in a 13x19 baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Combine milk, 1 1/2 cups egg substitute, half-and-half, and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Pour half of milk mixture over bread in dish.

Combine 1/2 cup egg substitute, 1/2 cup sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, and cheeses in food processor (or blender or use a mixer); process until smooth. Pour cream cheese mixture over moist bread in dish. Top with remaining bread; pour remaining milk mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Uncover and bake for 55 minutes (or more if needed). Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment