Thursday, September 23, 2010

Slow-Cooker Tropical Chicken with Sweet Potatoes

I feel like I should name my slow-cooker, so I know who to thank at the end of each meal. Any name suggestions? Anyways, this is another crowd-pleaser! A one-pot meal that tastes delicious. I hope you enjoy!
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
  • 1 can (8 oz) sliced water chestnuts, drained
  • 1 cup golden raisins
  • 1 can (20 oz) pineapple tidbits in pineapple juice, drained and juice reserved
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 4 tsp Jamaican jerk (or Caribbean Jerk) seasoning, or to taste
  • 1/4 cup dried onion flakes (I just used chopped onion)
  • 3 tbsp grated fresh ginger
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tbsp grated lime peel
  • 1 tsp cumin seed, slightly crushed (or just ground cumin)
  1. Place sweet potatoes in slow-cooker. Add water chestnuts, raisins, and pineapple tidbits. Mix well.
  2. Sprinkle chicken with jerk seasoning. Arrange chicken on top of potato mixture.
  3. Combine reserved pineapple juice, onion flakes, ginger, Worcestershire sauce, lime peel and cumin in a small bowl. Pour mixture over chicken.
  4. Cover and cook on LOW 7-9 hours or HIGH 3-4 hours or until chicken and potatoes are fork tender.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Abbey,
    This recipe looks really good, however I have yet again succeeded at making super dry chicken in the crockpot! What am I doing wrong? DJ now forbids me from making chicken in the crockpot after about 5 failed attempts. Help!!!!

    ReplyDelete