Thursday, September 9, 2010

Garlic-Ginger Shrimp Stir-Fry

I have really enjoyed branching out of my comfort zone with the Asian dishes this week. I've added two new skills to my cooking repertoire: peeling and grating ginger root and sectioning an orange. Also, I've really learned the advantage of prepping food in prep bowls (thank you for the beautiful prep bowls, April!) so all you have to do is throw things together in a pan. I liked this dish, but I think the seasonings were off a little bit. On my last bite I thought.. "maybe I should've added salt & pepper." Also, the sauce didn't thicken up as it said it would. I really enjoyed the oranges in the dish to give a little sweetness. Fun dish to create and play with. I hope you enjoy!

  • 1 1/4 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp dark sesame oil
  • 1 1/2 tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped red bell pepper (or green pepper- it's usually cheaper)
  • 3 tbsp Shaoxing (Chinese rice wine) or dry sherry (I used sherry)
  • 2 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1 cup orange sections (about 2 oranges)
  • 3 cups hot cooked short-grain rice
  • 1 cup (1-inch) cut green onions.
  1. Cook rice according to package directions.
  2. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and set aside.
  3. Meanwhile, combine oil, ginger, and garlic in a wok or large nonstick skillet. Place over medium-high heat; cook 4 minutes or until ginger and garlic begin to brown.
  4. Add shrimp and stir-fry 2 minutes.
  5. Add bell pepper; stir-fry 2 minutes.
  6. Add wine and vinegar; bring to simmer. Cook 1 minute or until wine mixture is syrupy.
  7. Gently stir in oranges. Serve over rice and sprinkle with onions.

Serves 4. Calories per serving: 417.

From Cooking Light June 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment