Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken

I started this blog last year with the intent of constantly cooking new recipes and rarely repeating anything. I have surprised myself with how many dishes are fantastic, including this one. I guess that goes to show that anything I pull out of a magazine will suit my taste. I hope to branch out and choose recipes that I would never think to try.. so stay tuned!

Once I saw this recipe in Cooking Light, I instantly thought of my brother-in-law who loves the chipotle-honey chicken crispers at a Chili's. This healthier (non-fried) version definitely lives up to it's spicy name, but is perfectly paired with the honey glaze. I have found that broiling chicken really preserves its juiciness especially when compared to using a counter-top grill. A downside of this recipe is that it does take a lot of ingredients, so can be rather expensive if you buy all the spices at once. Make substitutions as needed. I hope you enjoy!

Makes 4 servings.
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp ground red pepper
  • 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (or 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs)
  • 6 tbsp honey
  • 2 tsp cider vinegar
  1. Preheat broiler
  2. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken to bowl and toss to coat. Place chicken on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. (I would suggest a broiling rack, coated with cooking spray, on a cookie sheet covered in foil for easy clean-up) Broil chicken 5 minutes on each side.
  3. Combine honey and vinegar in a small bowl, stirring well. Remove chicken from oven; brush 1/4 cup honey mixture over chicken. Broil one minute. Turn chicken over and brush with remaining honey mixture. Broil additional one minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment