Monday, August 3, 2009

Mini Deep Dish Pizzas


Tonight I made mini-deep dish pizzas! Yum-O!
(Recipe from Rachael Ray's show, if you didn't get the yum-o comment)

Ingredients:
  • 1 can of biscuits (Pillsbury) or 1 Pillsbury pizza crust dough
  • cooking spray
  • 2 tbsp of olive oil
  • 1/4 lb. Italian sausage (or turkey sausage)
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped mushrooms
  • 1/4 cup chopped (turkey) pepperoni
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers (jar)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Cut biscuits in half, press into cups of sprayed muffin tin, making sure they go all the way up the sides. Place in oven and bake until golden brown. About 8-10 minutes.

While the biscuits are baking, place a medium skillet over medium-high heat with the olive oil. Add the sausage and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add in the onions and mushrooms and cook until tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add the pepperoni and roasted red peppers and mix to warm through.

Take the muffin tin out of the oven and fill each pizza crust with about a tbsp of sauce, a tbsp of sausage-onion-pepper-mushroom mix and sprinkle with cheese. Place under the broiler until light brown and bubbling about 3 minutes. Enjoy!

Things I would do differently:
1. I would make my own pizza dough (see recipe above) instead of the biscuits because they rose in the oven, completely ruining the little crust shape I had created.
2. I would use turkey sausage for a healthier version.


1 comment:

  1. I tried this! But I was really hungry so I tried to bake it all at once and that didn't go so well. : ( It was still good just a little goey!

    ReplyDelete