Thursday, August 6, 2009

Lou's Pecan Pie

Today's dessert precedes itself with a story. A couple weeks ago, I brought a chocolate chip pound cake with chocolate icing to my rotation site (a P&O clinic where I get hands-on practice in prosthetics and orthotics). Thinking that this would surely win everyone over, I was severely mistaken when I found out my boss' boss (The Big Man) doesn't like chocolate. So, I asked him what's your favorite dessert? He replies "Pecan Pie." So...having never made a pie, yet alone a pie crust, I accepted the challenge from the Big Man to make his favorite dessert... pecan pie. He's highly intimidating and can severely affect my future in the field, so this better go well. I credit the crust to my second Mom, Mrs. Anita Owen, and the filling to my new favorite friends at Karo syrup, hehe. Enjoy!

Mrs. Anita's Pie Crust:
  • 1/2 stick Crisco
  • 1 1/3 cups of flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup water
Measure flour and salt and mix well. Add Crisco. If you don't have a pastry maker (like me), take 2 knives and cut in the shortening until the consistency is little white crumbs. (Reminds me of feta cheese). Pour water in and stir with a fork. Smush with hands into a ball and place dough on flour covered counter. Sprinkle flour on hands and rolling pin. Roll out dough to desired size; 9" pie pan. Place in pie pan and smush edges to desired texture.





Pecan Pie Filling:
  • 1 cup Karo Light Corn Syrup
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tbsp. butter (melted)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 cups of pecans
Stir the first five ingredients thoroughly using a spoon. Mix in pecans. Pour into pie crust. Bake on center rack of oven for 55-60 minutes. Cool for 2 hours. Enjoy!

Finished product!

Dixie decided she wanted to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment